Wednesday 5 November 2014

Nigerian man banned for work in the UK after visiting Nigeria

Sam Ogunnoiki, who works as a security
guard at Stout Security Ltd
headquartered in Cornwall, UK, has been
told not to go to work over fears he may
have Ebola after visiting Nigeria.
The 46 year old British citizen, faces a
three-week quarantine from his
employers who told him that he needs to
get the all-clear from a British doctor
before he can go back to work. Below is
the letter (in full) his direct boss sent to
him
"I have spoken to you and
expressed my very deep concerns
about your trip to Nigeria. Several
members of staff have now voiced
their concerns about the possibility
of your carrying the Ebola virus
back with you and have made it
very clear that they are extremely
reluctant to work with you on your
return." Continue...
One member of staff has even
written a clear and concise letter
stating the concerns of your work
colleagues. In this case I have to
support their concerns especially as
I have already voiced them
personally to you. In order to allay
any fears that you are a carrier for
this deadly virus I feel I cannot
allow you to return to work until
you have been back in the United
Kingdom for three weeks, which is
the incubation period. I must also
request that you visit your doctor
on your return and get a clean bill
of health before you can start work
with us. I am very sorry about this
Sam but everyone works in close
proximity together and I have to
put the concerns of the majority
first.’
Sam, who said he's on a zero-hours
contract now worries about not being
paid. He said:
‘Nigeria does not have Ebola but he
said I have to be cleared. There is
this stigma surrounding me now –
it’s just ignorance and a nightmare
because I cannot work. I’m a
British citizen. There is no
justification for this at all.’
The boss who sent the letter, Mr
Mannell, later defended his position
saying:
‘I did send Sam a letter saying
anyone returning from any African
countries for safety reasons cannot
work for three weeks afterwards. I
know Nigeria is Ebola-free but I
don’t know where he’s travelled. My
problem is that Pendennis
[shipyard], which I have a contract
with, sent me an email saying they
cannot have anyone working there
that’s been in contact with Sam.

Source: Metro UK

No comments:

Post a Comment